De Pere Return to School 2020-2021
Nov. 17 Update - District-wide Virtual Learning / School Closure FAQs
Last night (Mon. Nov. 16) the USDD School Board voted to continue with District-wide virtual learning (schools closed to in-person instruction) until at least December 14. The vote came after several hours of community input, discussion and review of our 10 Point Re-Open and Fly Safely As One Plan. Nine of the ten points in the Plan have been met or will be completed shortly.
The final point in the Plan, which has not been met, is a core metric that would allow us to re-open our schools to in-person learning when Brown County achieves 14 days of 600 or fewer new positive COVID-19 cases per 100,000 people.
The Board and administration will monitor the criteria in the 10 Point Plan regularly. If the core metric of 600 or fewer cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 people in Brown County is met before December 14, the District would open schools sooner. Other indicators recommended by the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) will be reviewed as part of the decision-making process.
At its November 2 meeting, the School Board agreed on the ten point plan below to guide its decision-making process for reopening schools
Unified School District of De Pere
Re-Open and Fly Safely As One
The decision to re-open our schools will be voted on by the School Board. A decision on whether and when to re-open will next be considered at the Board’s December 14 meeting.
At this time, it is likely that when schools re-open, the learning scenarios will be the same as they were when we began the school year:
- 5 days/week, in-person instruction for grades 4K-6
- Blended learning (2 days/week in-person instruction, 3 days/week at home learning for grades 7-12).
- Opt in to De Pere Virtual Learning Academy (full-time virtual learning through the end of the school year)
- All COVID-19 mitigation protocols, including face coverings, social distancing, frequent hand washing and enhanced building cleaning that were in place at the start of the year will stay the same.
Families who do not want their student to return to in-person learning can choose to enroll in the Virtual Learning Academy. The deadline for enrollment is Wednesday, Nov. 18 for grades 4K-6, and Thursday, Nov. 19 for grades 7-12. The decision to enroll in the Virtual Academy is binding through the end of the school year
While all District schools are closed, there will be no changes. If you wish to change your students learning scenario when in-person instruction resumes, click the appropriate link below:
Elementary and Foxview families should reach out to their student’s classroom teacher first. Followup may be scheduled with additional school staff or administrators.
Middle School students can schedule support sessions on Wednesdays through Edficiency, daily student resource time and teacher office hours.
De Pere High School offers flex sessions on Tuesday, Wednesday (all day), Thursday, and Friday for students to get support they need in specific classes. The Math Resource Room continues to run virtually.
If your child is served through special education, reach out to your child’s special education case manager.
Each school building is offering counselor support based on discussions with families, students and teachers, as well as connections for students with other school-based professionals. We urge families to visit our Mental Health Resources web page for links to community-based services as well.
Our Pupil Services team is actively working on plans to expand access for all students and families through the Brown County Mental Health Coalition. We will communicate those opportunities to you as they are finalized.
We understand the vital role that extracurricular activities play in the social and emotional well-being of our students. Consistent with our 10 Point Plan, several clubs, groups and teams are available to students. These include:
- Construction/Technology/Engineering -- classes and some art classes have worked in small groups in the building on projects which require school-based equipment or supplies
- Spring play -- planning
- Winter sports athletic practices
- FBLA, Forensics, Academic Decathlon, Link Crew, Student Council, Senior Cabinet, Do Something Special Club, Sting Cancer, Metro Math (virtual meetings and practices scheduled) Hope Squad (scheduled), Key Club, National Honor Society, Counseling groups (virtual meetings for students identified as needing additional support including: grief group, academic support group, self-advocacy group), Mock Trial, SKILLS USA, Spanish Honor Society, FFA
In-Person and Virtual
- Fall Musical -- virtual, and limited in-person rehearsals, stage crew work and taping
- Speed and strength -- offered virtually until November 9th when small groups started to use the weight room and gym
- JAM Session -- virtual meetings and practices. Planning for in-person activities starting soon.
- Book clubs, Anime Club, Forensics, LEAD (Lead Everyone at De Pere), HOPE Squad, Math Team
- Forensics (6th Grade), Hope Squad and Battle of the Books. Coming soon are Art Club and Jazz Band with more to follow. All information on club/group activity is published weekly in Foxview’s Parent Communication.
Oct. 19 - Gating Criteria for Moving Between Learning Scenarios
Letter from De Pere Health Department Regarding COVID-19
Sept. 27 - District-wide Transition to All Virtual Learning and Related Schedules
We have planned for this scenario and quickly making the transition. It is our goal to return to face to face and blended instruction on Monday, October 12. Other factors, such as community spread and local hospitalization rates will influence the District’s decision to reopen on October 12 or to extend virtual instruction.
The schedule for our schools is as follows.
High School and Middle School
Friday, September 25: No School. Teachers prepare for virtual instruction.
Monday, September 28: Virtual instruction begins.
Monday, October 12: Tentative date for return to blended learning instruction
Foxview Intermediate and Elementary Schools
Friday, September 25: Foxview and all elementary schools report to school as scheduled with early release and virtual elementary parent-teacher conferences.
Monday, September 28: No School. Teachers prepare for virtual instruction.
Tuesday September 29: Virtual instruction begins.
Monday, October 12: Tentative date for return to full time in-person instruction
WiFi access is available for families without home internet availability. Food service, learning schedules and more will be forwarded to you. Please watch your email, our website, and social media channels for updates.
We know full time virtual learning is not ideal for some students and families. However, we are confident in our ability to provide meaningful and progressive instruction, and have made significant changes to our virtual program since the statewide school closure last spring.
Our Continued Request
Sept. 24 Updated COVID-19 Exposure Protocols
Aug. 14 Health Department Symptoms and Exposure Protocols
August 27 Letter to Families from Supt. Villarruel
District Food Service Ready for In-Person and Virtual Students
August 7 Return to School Operation Plans by Building
Aug. 3 Board Approves De Pere Return to School 2020-2021 Plan
- Facial coverings/masks for all students, staff and visitors in our buildings
- Full time, in person instruction for students in grades 4K-6, as well as our early childhood (EC) program
- A blended program for grades 7-12. Students will be grouped into 2 cohorts (A and B). Each cohort will attend school in person for 2 days, and will receive instruction virtually (at home) for 3 days of the week.
- The De Pere Virtual Learning Academy is available for students in any grade. Families have until Friday, August 7, to sign up for this full time virtual (at home) learning option. See the section below to learn more and access the sign up form.
Aug. 3 Approved De Pere Return To School Plan Document
*CLOSED* Sign Up for Full Time Virtual Learning Here
De Pere Return to School Plan 2020-2021 Presentation
En Espanol De Pere Return to School Plan 2020-2021 Presentation
Unified School District of De Pere Contact Information
Family Preference Survey Results